Oral 5: Normalization of Liver-Related Laboratory Parameters in HCV Genotype 1-Infected Patients With Cirrhosis After Treatment With ABT-450/R/Ombitasvir, Dasabuvir and Ribavirin
Author insight from Gregory T. Everson, MD, University of Colorado Denver and Hospital, Aurora, CO
What’s new here and important for clinicians?
- In patients with cirrhosis, clearing HCV is only one goal – the high rates of SVR in TURQUOISE II are encouraging that many more patients with cirrhosis can be cured of their chronic hepatitis C infection.
- However, in cirrhosis reversing hepatic impairment is another key, perhaps the key, endpoint – is SVR associated with reversal of hepatic impairment.
- The improvement in standard blood tests, suggests that the SVR with this Interferon-Free, All Oral regimen improves the liver.
What do patients need to know?
- More patients with cirrhosis will be cured with this and other new therapies
- Early data suggests that their hepatic dysfunction may reverse after they achieve SVR with treatment
Gregory T. Everson, MD, University of Colorado Denver and Hospital, Aurora, CO
Media Interview Requests:
To arrange an interview with any ACG experts or abstract authors please contact Jacqueline Gaulin of ACG via email email@example.com or by phone at 301-263-9000.