2018 / 2019 ACG Young Physician Leadership Scholars and ACG Leadership on Capitol Hill.
ACG Young Physician Leadership Scholars Program—Elevating Great Doctors into Great Leaders
The goal of the program is to provide young physicians with a comprehensive skill set that will serve as a foundation for the development of leadership and physician advocacy skills, with a focus on building aptitude in executive decision-making, critical thinking, and understanding organizational behavior. By bringing motivated young physicians together for interactive discussions and a day of advocacy meetings on Capitol Hill, we hope to encourage the development of the next generation of leaders in gastroenterology.
- Online Educational Videos – May-October (open to ACG Members on the Education Universe)
- Attend Friday course at ACG 2019 in San Antonio, Texas – October 25, 2019 – see eligibility requirements below
- Participate in the Governors’ Washington D.C. Fly-in – early April 2020
Tentative Friday Course topics (7:30 am-1:40 pm at ACG 2019 in San Antonio):
- Effective Leadership & Impactful Networking
- Emotional Intelligence/ Physician resilience
- Negotiation Skills
- Developing Your Own Leadership Model
- Understanding Organizational Behavior
Planned Fly-in activities:
- Arrive in Washington, D.C. Wednesday evening, to participate in full day of policy advocacy on Capitol Hill (Thursday)
- Participate in Governors’ meeting Friday morning. To learn more about the Fly-in activities, read this article from the 2018 Fly-in.
- Travel to Fly-in will be covered by ACG (in accordance with travel policies)
Online Educational videos
- Log in using your Single Sign-on Account (gi.org)
- Visit the ACG Education Universe
- Listed under the learning modules: ACG Young Physician Leadership Scholars Program
- Add to your portfolio, click to view video
Applicants will need to submit their curriculum vitae, statement of interest in participating in the program and a letter of recommendation from either their Program Director (Fellows) or the Chair of their Department, or Partner at their Practice. Applications will be reviewed by the ACG Institute and will be notified regarding their inclusion in the program (there are no registration fees for the program – it is by invitation only). See button below to submit your application. Deadline: July 12, 2019. YPLSP Flyer
Eligibility & Evaluation Criteria:
To choose the recipients, the Institute will assess the degree to which the applicant meets the eligibility criteria of the ACG Young Leadership Scholars Program. Applicants who are ACG members, from the United States, and early in their career (3rd or 4th year of GI fellowship or less than 5 years out of fellowship) will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- A strong statement of interest in Leadership training and Public Policy
- A strong letter of nomination from your GI Program Director, Chief of GI, Division Director, ACG Governor, or a Fellow or Master of the ACG (FACG or MACG)
- Commitment of the applicant to attend the Governors’ Fly-in April 2020 (Date TBD; travel expenses covered by ACG)
The ACG Institute aims to support a diverse group of applicants, with respect to private practice and university based practitioners, those in fellowship and who are in practice, and geographic dispersion.
Click Here to Apply