Oral 8 – An Appraisal of the Referral, Uptake and Outcomes of Genetic Counseling and Testing in Patients With Young Onset Colorectal Cancer
Monday, October 24, 2022 | 9:54 AM – 10:06 AM ET | Location: Hall C2
Author Insight from Hareem Syed, MD, Cleveland Clinic
What’s new here and important for clinicians?
- 1 in 5 YOCRC patients have pathogenic germline variants, regardless of their family history
- Less than 2/3rd of YOCRC patients are being referred for genetic counseling and testing
- Younger patients and patients with a positive family history are referred more frequently
What do patients need to know?
- Colorectal cancer before the age of 50 can be associated with pathogenic germline variants in 1 in 5 patients
- All patients with YOCRC should undergo genetic counseling and germline multi-gene panel testing, regardless of their family history
Read the Abstract
Hareem Syed, MD, Cleveland Clinic
syedh2 [at] ccf.org
Media Interview Requests
To arrange an interview with any ACG experts or abstract authors, please contact Becky Abel of ACG via email at mediaonly [at] gi.org or by phone at 301-263-9000.