ACG Commended for CRC Awareness Month Activities

ACG was commended this week for the College's colorectal cancer awareness month activities in a letter by Rep. Teri Sewell (D-AL), co-Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC). We will continue to partner with patient advocates and policymakers to promote the power of prevention and reduce inequities in patient care.

Other recent highlights:

ACG President Daniel Pambianco, MD, FACG was honored to join in the "United in Blue" Rally in Washington, DC

ACG President Daniel Pambianco, MD, FACG was honored to join Fight Colorectal Cancer and patient advocates on Monday for the "United in Blue" rally in Washington, D.C. Thank you Fight Colorectal Cancer and advocates for the invitation and opportunity to join you on the National Mall.

ACG Trustee Dr. James Hobley Connects with First Lady Dr. Jill Biden & U.S. Senator Dr. Bill Cassidy in New Orleans

ACG Trustee James Hobley, MD, MSc, FACG joined First Lady Jill Biden, Ed.D and Sen. Bill Cassidy, MD, FACG (LA) at the Louisiana Cancer Research Center in New Orleans, LA to highlight National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month.

Dr. Jannel Lee-Allen at Congressional Black Caucus
"Health Braintrust Roundtable" March 10, 2023

Jannel Lee-Allen, MD, MUP represented ACG on Capitol Hill at the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) Healthcare Braintrust Roundtable to discuss inequities in colorectal cancer screening and the importance of partnering with local communities.

U.S. Rep. Terri Sewell (D-AL)
Letter Commending ACG on Colorectal Cancer
Awareness Month

Biden Administration Releases FY 2024 Budget Request

On March 9, the Biden Administration released its FY 2024 budget, along with an overall fact sheet. Please note that the President's budget is a recommended blueprint for Congress to consider when moving through the fiscal year budgeting process this year.

Some highlights: The HHS budget in brief was also released, proposing $144.3 billion in discretionary and $1.7 trillion in mandatory proposed budget authority for FY 2024. According to the budget plan, Medicare Part B gross fee-for service spending will total about $225.7 billion in FY 2024. Clearly, more is needed to address reimbursement and access to care. For Medicare Part B beneficiaries, the standard monthly Part B premium is $164.90 in CY 2023, a $5.20 decrease from $170.10 in CY 2022. Some beneficiaries also pay a higher Part B premium based on income. The Part B annual deductible in CY 2023 is $226.00 for all beneficiaries, a $7.00 decrease from $233.00 in CY 2022. Medicare beneficiary premiums finance approximately 25% of Part B costs with the remaining 75% covered by general revenues from the U.S.

Other notables impacting clinical GI: The Administration is looking to move away from the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) to Merit-based Incentive Payment System Value Pathways MVPs; investing $28 million for a new program to address growing concerns around healthcare workforce shortages; limiting Medicare Part D cost-sharing for high-value generic drugs to no more than $2; broadening Medicare's ability to negotiate for prescription drugs; $1 billion for cancer moonshot activities; $48.6 billion for the NIH, an increase of $920 million above FY 2023 enacted.

ACG is working with Congress and the Administration to help ensure adequate funding for issues important to GI patients and practices.